Egypt Mission Alexandria Station

From Schutz History
Revision as of 13:55, 4 March 2020 by Weavgelz (talk | contribs) (Egypt Mission Alexandria Station)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

Egypt Mission Alexandria Station

Between 1854 and 1890, the Egypt Mission established several schools for girls and for boys in Alexandria in its earliest years in Egypt, between 1854 and 1890. The term ‘station’ was used by the Mission to indicate where an established missionary community served in hospitals, schools and other institutions belonging to the Egypt Mission or the Synod of the Nile. The term also meant that missionaries had residence there. The Alexandria station’s work and personnel was largely centered in a large building downtown on Attarine Street, known in the Mission as The Attarine Building. Offices, the church and the Commercial School were located on the lower floors. Missionary apartments were located on the top floor; some missionaries lived in rented apartments nearby. Usually the Alexandria Station had between 10 and 12 missionaries in residence, some with families whose children attended Schutz.