When the Egypt Mission formed the Association of Missionaries in 1870,the document outlining the functions of officers of the Association Meeting described the General Treasurer thusly: "It shall be the duty of the Treasurer to hold, in the name of, and in trust for, the Board of Foreign Missions aforementioned, all lands, tenements, permanent funds, libraries, printing press and apparatus, and all property whatsoever pertaining to the mission; and he shall give such legal security for said property as shall be demanded by the Board of Foreign Missions. It shall be his duty to receive, hold, and, according to the direction of the Association, dispose of all moneys received for missionary purposes by the Association from the Board or from any other source whatsoever; and he shall render a full annual report to the Association." p. 66, E.E. Elder, "Vindicating a Vision," United Presbyterian Board of Foreign Missions, Philadelphia, PA 1958.
This work meant constant interface with Egyptian authorities in government departments of deeds and titles, for buying and selling land and buildings throughout Egypt. The General Treasurer's office held copies of all purchases of land and buildings, architectural plans, permissions to build, permissions to raze, as well as all accounts of negotiations in these matters. The General Treasurer, as well as the Corresponding Secretary (who served as the main point of contact between the Egypt Mission and the Board of Foreign Missions), was also responsible to the Board of Foreign Missions for all accounting matters, all correspondence discussing and describing the changes and plans for property and expenditure planned by the Association Meeting.
The General Treasurer applied for residence permits for new missionaries, applied for license to work in the country for doctors and teachers, spending hour upon hour waiting in government offices to speak with the appropriate minister. A deep understanding of Egyptian culture, a strong grasp of detail and minutiae, and excellent spoken and written Arabic was required of the man who served as General Treasurer.
All this responsibility belonged to both Roswell Caldwell in 1924 through 1928, and to William Nolin in 1929, before either was given the work and responsibility of heading the administration of Schutz School. Describing the many different kinds of work a missionary might be assigned simultaneously, E.E.Elder writes about Dr. D. R. Johnston, appointed in 1868, "Although the healing ministry of Dr. Johnston continued to increase, the Mission, as it sometimes does to this day, assigned to him burdens that were not particularly those of his profession." Johnston was seeing more than 250 patients a month in Assiut, and traveling each month more than 100 miles up and down the Nile making medical visits to villages, when he was given the work of General Treasurer, on top of the work of founding Assiut College. p. 52, 53, "Vindicating a Vision", UPNA Board of Foreign Missions, Philadelphia 1958. It is no surprise that the worthy doctor resigned from the Mission on his return to the States for his first furlough.
William Nolin was elected General Treasurer of the Egypt Mission on Roswell Caldwell's reassignment to the Board of Foreign Missions in Philadelphia. William Nolin and his family lived at Schutz on the floor below all classrooms, dining rooms and dormitory rooms. In his work for Schutz, Nolin oversaw property maintenance there and at Sidi Bishr, hired and oversaw all local employees at the School including the matron, and taught geometry to Schutz high school students from 1929 through 1942.