The name means “Two Flags.” The place is the joint cemetery for the dead of the Allied and Axis forces which fought there twice, under General Rommel and General Bernard Montgomery. The 2nd battle of El ALamein was the last one of Rommel’s North Africa campaign, and on November 11th, 1942, the Axis armies withdrew, leaving a vast number of dead. The five military cemeteries are 66 miles west of Alexandria. The German cemetery is marked a monument in the form of a medieval castle tower, the Italian cemetery by a mausoleum containing 5200 tombs. There is a Greek military cemetery and a large Commonwealth cemetery with the graves of Canadian, British, Australian, New Zealand, Indian and South African forces. El Alamein was an annual field trip for Schutz high school students in the 1960s.