An amount of money given to Presbyterian missionary parents, in addition to their salaries, to offset the costs of raising children on the field, including education, health
care, travel and clothing. The Board of Foreign Missions encouraged savings for college by matching an amount of this allowance set aside for college. The Board transferred the children’s allowance to Schutz School for the eight or nine months of the year when the children were in residence at the school. It was used to help pay for boarding, education and travel to and from Schutz. Any difference in actual expenses for running the school was subsidized by the Board. By 1950, the children’s allowance was understood by members of the Egypt Mission, the Sudan Missions North and South, Ethiopia and eventually, the Presbyterian Mission Cameroon, to defray school costs as well as providing for travel to and from the parents’ home field.