COEMAR

From Schutz History
Jump to: navigation, search

Commission on Ecumenical Mission and Relations became the new name for the department overseeing the mission work of the new denomination formed by the 1957 merger of the United Presbyterian Church of North America (UPNA) and the United Presbyterian Church of the USA, (UPCUSA). Both the United Presbyterians of North America and the United Presbyterian Church of the USA (UPC USA) had Boards of Foreign Missions, operating since the 1830s. Upon the merger, the two Boards and all their work combined under the new name, which reflected the change in status of churches in Egypt, Cameroon, Ethiopia, and other places in the world where mission fields were now changing in their operation as independent indigenous Presbyterian Churches rose into being. The COEMAR offices in New York City inherited oversight of many Presbyterian schools for missionary children in its mission fields in Egypt, Sudan, Ethiopia, Cameroon, Japan, Thailand, the Congo, India and others.