The Egypt Mission founded two hospitals in Egypt. Assiut Hospital was the first, and Tanta Hospital the second. Assiut Hospital began as a clinic in 1891, staffed with one physician. By 1906, the hospital had three Egypt Mission doctors. In the early 1920s, Assiut Hospital began developing an emphasis on diagnostics, increasing Egypt's resources in medical technology.
A great many Schutz boarders came from Assiut through the first 50 years of the school's existence, because of the Egypt Mission's extensive medical and educational work maintained in the city.