Alexandria Commercial College
The Egypt Mission maintained 4 schools in Alexandria. Two were primary and secondary schools for girls. Neither the Muharram Bey School for Girls nor the Alexandria Central School for Girls shared space in the Attarine Building downtown, where the Alexandria School for Boys was located. The Boys School opened in 1879, located on the ground floor of the Attarine Building; also using space on the ground floor, the Commercial College, also called the Commercial School, opened in 1910, to provide men with skills and education in commercial pursuits such as accounting, typing, understanding inventory, ordering and estimating sales, communicating with factories, managing imports and exports. These essentials could otherwise only be had by inheritance or lifelong apprenticeship in Egypt's family owned businesses. This training gave increasing advantage to Egyptian men as foreign business investment in Egypt grew through the 1930s and in the decades after World War II.
In 1900, the Egypt Mission had responsibility for 186 Evangelical primary schools for boys and girls throughout Egypt. In 1904, the Mission closed 19 of the schools, and in the next decades, closed more as Egypt's national responsibility for primary education increased. In the late 1930s, crises of finance, instructors and enrollment came upon the Egypt Mission's remaining 44 day schools for boys and girls (teaching levels below what would be junior year of high school in the Egypt school system). The Mission closed 4 of its schools in the Nile Delta region in 1928, and closed 5 more in 1934, all of which had served children in and around the cities of Benha, Mansura, Qus, Tanta and Zagazig. The Boys School in Alexandria and the Alexandria Commercial College were among the few that continued after 1945. Details from Vindicating a Vision by E.E. Elder, published by The Board of Foreign Missions, UPCNA 1958, pages 110, 137, 180.
The monthly (and eventually bi-annual) Schutz Bric-a-Brac magazines were typed as lesson practice by students in the Alexandria Commercial College. All of the Commercial College's teachers were members of the Egypt Mission, and over the decades, were weekly visitors to Schutz, playing tennis, entering the school's regular tennis tournaments, participating in the Egypt Mission Alexandria Station picnics.